Website & Video Production By David Wilson.
Horton Kirby parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Mary the Virgin. The Normans built it around 1190 – possibly using masons from Rochester cathedral - with additional work and rebuilding in the 14th century, following an earthquake in 1382. In 1552, there is a record of three bells in the tower. Richard Phelps cast a bell in 1733. In 1797, Edward Hasted described St Mary’s church as ‘built in the form of a cross, with a spire steeple in the centre of it, in which hangs a peal of five bells’. In 1817, architect, George Smith rebuilt the tower in brick and demolished the eastern half of the chancel. The Victorian architect Ewan Christian carried out restoration work in 1863. Although, Hasted noted five bells, by 1887 J C Stahlschmidt found only three – the 1733 bell plus a treble and tenor cast by Thomas Mears in 1817 and 1826. In 1999, Whitechapel cast two bells and re hung all five in a frame for six, adding a treble in the following year.